1. And he [the messenger which
had the seven vehicles of divine bowls for broadcasting, see Revelation 15:6, probably,
Gods justice] showed me [the John Class] a pure river
[channel of the truth] of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne
[divine government] of God and of the Lamb [meek and humble One].
2. In the midst of the street [way of sustained life] of it,
and on either side of [encompassing] the river [of truth],
was there the tree [church] of life, which bare [develops] twelve
manner of fruits [classes or divisions of the twelve tribes of natural Israel],
and yielded her fruit every month [apparently for every month for a thousand
years which would be the equivalent of 12 tribes for twelve months every year for a
thousand years—equaling 144,000 with the added thought that each member of the church
develops 144,000 beings]: and the leaves [teachings] of the trees
[the church] were for the healing of the nations.
3. And there shall be no more curse [Adamic condemnation]: but
the throne [government] of God and of the Lamb [meek and humble
One] shall be in it; and his servants [the world of mankind when perfect]
shall serve him:
4. And they shall see his face [experience his favor]; and his
name [character] shall be in their foreheads [impressed upon
5. And there shall be no night [sin and death] there; and they
need no candle [human teachers], neither light of the sun
[illumination of the Gospel preaching]; for the Lord God giveth them light
[illumination]: and they [the restored human creation] shall
reign [as human kings on the earth] for ever and ever [the ages
of the ages].
6. And he [the messenger which had the seven vehicles of divine bowls
for broadcasting] said unto me [the John Class], These sayings
are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets [teachings of the
prophets] sent his angel [messenger] to show unto his servants
[the church this side the veil] the things which must shortly be done.
7. Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the
prophecy [the teachings] of this book.
8. And I John saw [perceived] these things, and heard
[understood] them. And when I [John and the John Class] had heard
[understood] and seen [perceived], I [John and the John
Class] fell down to worship [give homage] before the feet of the
angel [messenger] which showed me [John and the John Class]
9. Then he [the messenger, Bro. Russell] saith unto me
[the John Class], See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy
brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings [teachings] of
this book: worship God.
10. And he [the messenger] saith unto me [the John
Class], Seal [conceal] not the sayings
[teachings] of the prophecy of this book: for the [set] time is
11. He who is unjust [-ified], let him be unjust [ified]
still: and he who is filthy [wicked], let him be filthy
[wicked] still: and he who that is righteous [justified], let him be
righteous [justified] still: and he that is holy [sanctified], let
him be holy [sanctified] still. [The thought being that the
message of this book will not upset the status quo condition of any class of people.]
12. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me to give every man
according as his work shall be [notice not as his work was].
13. I am the Alpha and Omega [Jesus], the beginning and the
end, the first and the last.
14. Blessed are they that do his commandments [who cleanse themselves
of their own righteousness], that they may have the right to the tree of life
[receive life from the church], and may enter in through the gates [the
twelve tribes of Israel, particularly through the Ancient Worthies] into the city
15. For without are dogs [backbiters], and sorcerers
[those with tendencies toward occultism], and whoremongers [those
harboring desires for either natural or spiritual illicit indulgence], and
murderers [brother-haters], and idolaters [those who give to
self or to others love, service, and honor which belong to God], and whosoever
loveth and maketh a lie [loves or practices untruth].
16. I Jesus, have sent mine angel [probably the Apostle John is meant
here] to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root
[life-giver] and offspring [the descendant] of David, and the
bright and morning star [which is the harbinger of the day].
17. And the [holy] Spirit [through the Bridegroom] and
the bride [church] say, Come. And let him that heareth
say, Come. And let him who that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water
[truth] of life freely.
18. For I testify unto every man [Christian] that heareth
[understands] the words [testimony] of the prophecy
[teaching] of this book, If any man [Christian] shall add unto
these things, God shall add unto him the plagues [punishments] that are
written in this book:
19. And if any man [Christian] shall take away from the words [testimony]
of the book of this prophecy [teaching], God shall take away his
part out of the book of [everlasting] life, and out of the holy city
[government], and from the things [the portion of blessings] which
are written in this book.
20. He who testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen
[So be it]. Even so, come Lord Jesus [this is Johns closing prayer
as he concludes his duty to the churches].
21. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all [the saints].
Amen [So be it].