1. Unto the angel [messenger, Paul] of
the church of Ephesus ["first" or
"desirable," not derived from the word itself, but because Ephesus was the
first city of the province] write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven
stars [messengers—Paul, John, Arius, Waldo, Wycliff, Luther and Russell] in
his right hand [the place of his guidance, protection, care and favor], who
walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks [supervises the seven
stages of the churches];
2. I know thy works, and thy
labor, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast
tried them which call themselves apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3. And hast borne [with constancy], and hast
patience [cheerful endurance], and for my names sake hast labored,
and hast not fainted.
4. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast
left thy first love.
5. Remember, therefore, from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the
first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of
his place [from the position of my favor], except thou repent.
6. But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes
[those who are conquerors of the people; the "man of sin" was already working in
the church endeavoring to lord it over the saints], which I also hate.
7. He that hath an ear [receptive and understanding
mind], let him hear what the Spirit [of promise] saith
[indicates] unto the churches [unto all seven periods of the churches]; To
him that overcometh will I give to eat [participate] of the tree of life
[everlasting life and also the knowledge of good and evil], which is in the midst
of the paradise of God [the central part of Gods kingdom].